Wednesday, January 21, 2015

X-Wing Miniatures


A few days back, I added e a new section of blogroll (on your right) entitled "Other Nerd Stuff."  I'm not sure if it will stay; it may vanish just as suddenly as it appeared.

I attended college in the early 90s, and many of my nerd friends did nerd things like tabletop and pen-and-paper RPGs.  I spent some time playing Magic: The Gathering in the days of Revised and 4th Edition.  And while at the college-town game store, I browsed the aisles of Warhammer, D&D, and other franchises.  The toys/models/minis looked cool, but I lacked the time (and funds) to really dig in.



Fast forward two decades.  Last summer, we went to one of the major gaming conventions in the U.S., mostly to gawk at the cosplayers and see what the fuss was about.  I hadn't thought about tabletop games in many moons; I'd been away from that side of my brain for almost 20 years.  I've spent the days since I got out of college immersed in the online realms of EVE, Diablo, WoW, and similar titles.

Alas, I left the convention with the itch to try something.  I wanted to return the following year and have something to play in the rooms and rooms of open game tables.

Warmachine was EVERYWHERE at the convention, and I poked around through the Fall and Winter on how to get into it.  Absorbed available youtube streams.  Bought a few of the books.  I found a local scene in which I could play.  I had various kits in my Amazon cart several times but always stopped short of ordering. The  blasted Warmachine minis don't come painted.  I really lack the ability to do anything like detail work; paying someone else to do it is expensive.

I put the core set of X-Wing Miniatures and a few addon ships on my Christmas list, and Santa was kind enough to bring it.  I'm hooked. It's a great game and focuses nicely on the original trilogy's ships.  The ships come prepainted and look reasonably cool.

I'm a kid of the Kenner generation - my toybox was all Star Wars growing up (definitely not GI Joe, and very few Transformers).  These minis speak to that bit of nostalgia from when I was 7, while the strategy aspect speaks to the college nerd still in me.  After the disappointment of Episodes 1-3, it's nice to pay attention to the original movies again.

Anyway, that's what the new sidebar is all about.

The point of this blog is still EVE.  Don't expect that to change.  But there may be a smattering of minis/x-wing content bleeding in from time to time.


What's Playing:  Jamin Winanas, Ink Soundtrack, John's Walk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alpha State

"Everything that has a beginning has an end."  That's one of my favorite quotes from the Matrix 2.  It has to do with the ...