Saturday, September 9, 2017

Alpha State


"Everything that has a beginning has an end."  That's one of my favorite quotes from the Matrix 2.  It has to do with the inevitability of change, and our general reluctance to accept what comes next.  And it's applicable here.

So ... here we are.  I talked in my last post about how to wrap up the blog. I wasn't sure what I was doing at the time, but I posted it kind of figuring I'd be back to tie things up one way or another.

I wasn't ready for the "what's next?" question back then.  But time gives perspective, and I'm ready to provide an answer.

So, I'll cut to the chase.  Dog's Breath as you know it has run its course.  It's served its Purpose.  I won't do you the injustice of calling it an indefinite hiatus; it's just done.  If I return to EVE, and then choose to write about it (both very big 'ifs'), I'll pick another venue and another name.

There's no great drama, and no great dissertation to type.  My time in EVE has simply completed its journey.  My main account is in Alpha status, and my alt account will follow once the 6mo subscription expires.  I first joined EVE in March of 2003 when Beta7 started, and despite some lengthy absences I felt like I stayed connected to the EVE ecosphere in one way or another throughout the 14 1/2 years that have elapsed since.

This time is different; for the first time since 2002, I am not paying a monthly sub to an MMO.  That genre, that platform, that way of telling stories and engaging players has shifted and evolved, and I've shifted and evolved in some different direction.  So while my past absences from EVE have always involved a defection to WoW or some other MMO, there really is no "other woman" this time, and no magnetic pull back to EVE as I cycled through game titles.  

The tectonic plates of my gaming interests have shifted, and I find myself on another landmass.   For the past year, give or take, my spare time has been shifting towards the Tabletop gaming world.

And yet, I've had the itch to write again.

So this post ultimately serves two purposes.  It's the end of this blog.  It's the start of another.  I was tempted to simply start writing here and abuse what little internet momentum/audience this place still holds, but it was time for a fresh start and a new foundation.

Should you choose, you can follow me at House of Zoxe.  I waited to post here until I had a decent number of posts up, so there's actually a reasonable amount for you to read with more on the way.

o7
Fly it like you stole it,
Abavus Durden

3 comments:

  1. Give me your accounts lol. But naw buddy, sorry to see you leave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another one of into the blue yonder. It was nice reading you. All the best!

    ReplyDelete

Alpha State

"Everything that has a beginning has an end."  That's one of my favorite quotes from the Matrix 2.  It has to do with the ...