Monday, February 2, 2015

Massively is Shutting Down

Yesterday I read the news that Massively was shutting down, as well as the sister sites Joystiq and WoW Insider.  This made me sad.

In years past, these sites were the first I visited in the morning and the last I visited at night.  During my WoW heyday, the Insider (and MMO Champ) were the centers of the proverbial universe.  Articles published there spawned great nerd debates in corp/guild chat, and around the printer at work (we don't have a water cooler in the main room).  Although my time at WoW Insider has since subsided, my browser says that Massively is still in my top 8 sites every time I open a new tab.

Massively's coverage of EVE was sometimes hit or miss, but during my times away from New Eden, it was the coverage at Massively that kept me in touch with the major events as they unfolded.  It was Massively and WoW Insider I had on my RSS feeds at work.  It was Massively and WoW insider that I checked on the phone during meetings.

Along a similar line, I'm going to have to figure out how to keep tabs on the useful GW2 news now.

Good luck to the Massively staff.  If there's a silver lining in this, it's my hope that the writers will relocate somewhere new, free of corporate jerks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alpha State

"Everything that has a beginning has an end."  That's one of my favorite quotes from the Matrix 2.  It has to do with the ...