Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Good ol' Days

As I continue to post, you are probably going to see a lot of references to life as it used to be in EVE, or comparisons of today's mechanics with what we had at launch.

That's not because I want to return to 2003, or I have some desire to roll back the patches and dev time that's been invested.  With only a few exceptions, I think that the EVE of 2014, as a product, is miles and miles better than it was in 2003.

But I do think that some of the fundamentals that got myself and hundreds of other bittervets hooked have perhaps begun to fade, and I think it would be good of CCP to squint a little and ask themselves how to capitalize on those initial feelings.  It's a tough balance - the game needs to grow to meet our expectations, without changing so much that it loses its magic.

The good news, I think, is that because EVE's mechanics and economy have been relatively stable (at least compared to many other MMOs in the 'verse), many of those first hooks are still a part of the fabric of EVE.  Sometimes, we the players just need to look.  Sometimes CCP is going to have to point us back to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alpha State

"Everything that has a beginning has an end."  That's one of my favorite quotes from the Matrix 2.  It has to do with the ...